Wednesday, July 4, 2007

4th of july, german style

Normally, the 4th of July is my favorite holiday. There's something so nostalgic about it. Something so comforting about grilling burgers and eating cobbler, followed by setting off massive colorful explosions in the driveway.

But this 4th of July is different. I'm wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt and even (gasp!) socks! I've never worn socks on the 4th of July! I've never even worn pants on the 4th of July. Normally I'm wearing flip flops and a swimsuit and cover up. But not this year... this year it's a whopping 58 degrees and pouring down rain.

We did grill, though. My poor husband was out there flipping the steaks while dodging lightning bolts and raindrops that were falling so hard, I thought the noise was coming from our computer speakers. I should have just made beef stew with the steaks, instead.

There won't be any fireworks here tonight. Mainly because it doesn't get dark until 10:30 and by then, us losers are fast asleep. And also because no matter how hard I try, I can't get a wet fuse to light, without illegal amounts of lighter fluid. I don't feel like going to jail.

So here, it's just another day. I hope all of you have fun for us! Keep in mind what the day really means and stay safe. If you think of it, light some fireworks for us and have a shot of something good in our name.

1 comment:

Jessica Ryan said...

I had no idea you actually ate burgers? Are they made from filet mignon? Do you use ketchup or some fancy schmancy sauce?
Sorry your 4th was rotten... I am jealous that it's light out until 10:00 or so!