Monday, July 14, 2008

still here...

We're still here, I promise. Just super busy and the kids have been sick... again. I've been uber domesticated these days and it's cutting into my online time, not to mention my projects are draining what little brain capacity for thinking I have left right out of me so I am unable to come up with anything worthy of writing about.

I don't want to talk about my projects yet because I'm making things for people who waste their time reading this and I don't want to ruin the surprise just yet. But let's just say I've been up to my ears in tulle, or "itchy stuff" as W calls it.

I've decided I'm NEVER paying for anything made with tulle again. I'll do it myself. That stuff has to be the most genius way to make money. It costs $.97 a yard, and most projects like the projects I am working on take 5-6 yards but are sold for at least $45 each. If I had the patience, I'd go into business.

Case in point: my wedding veil. I had decided that I didn't want a veil for my wedding but changed my mind 2 days before the ceremony. So I went to the fabric store and bought my 8 yards of tulle for $9, a comb clip thing, a string of beads and a spindle of thread and 3 hours later, I had this:



The day after I made it, I had to go to the bridal boutique to pick something up and I saw a very similar veil "on sale" for $250. While my handmade, $9, 3 hour veil may not have been the greatest one ever made, it was pretty freaking close and totally worth the $241 I didn't spend.

You know that saying that people have "champagne taste on a beer budget"? That is totally true for me, except I can make the beer look and taste just like champagne. It's a gift, really and comes in handy in times like these when I have 6 baby showers
and birthday parties to go to in the next month. And for times when people are getting married. I still think my friend J and I should start a company. We can plan weddings quick and on a small budget and have them look amazing. We will call it "Shotgun Weddings" and part of the deluxe package will include my doula services for the couple 6 months after the wedding.

Speaking of weddings, although, not a shotgun wedding, happy 4 years to M and me (a little late but at least I'm making the effort, right?) It's been an indescribable 4 years, that's for sure.

8 comments:

Hilary said...

Happy belated anniversary! Your wedding was so beautiful...

Lynette said...

Wow, Jo, what a beautiful wedding! Your dress and veil are amazing. Happy four to you and M.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful to revisit that great day through the pics. Thanks. You've lived a lot more of life than you should have to in these four years, but you do it with grace and dignity. Love to you, M, and, of course, W and CB.

Unknown said...

my goodness what an amazing lookin' wedding. some awesome people must have been in charge of putting that together! a few pics i hadn't seen before so that was fun. and also, we really should make Shotgun Weddings a reality when you are back here for realz. i've already been working on the logo. it's fantastic and goregous.

Jessica Ryan said...

Jo, the photos are gorgeous!

Imcombobulated said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! I missed my own too. Of course, I never had a wedding, beer or champagne budgeted... so I don't feel badly for forgetting my own.
But yours was gorgeous! I should have remembered! Of course, I didn't know, so that makes the remembering part tough...

Andrea said...

Gorgeous veil and gorgeous wedding! You are so right about tulle. I had some decorating Cali's first bedroom, we moved after 2 months, so I had to tear it down and I was holding on to it for 'something' when I realized her BF would love a tutu for her bday this year so I looked up how to make one on ehow.com and made her an awesome, super easy, and FREE tutu, of course she had to put it on immediately and wear it the rest of the party.

Katie said...

The wedding pictures are beautiful! I love your veil...looks like it would have cost over $250!