Monday, July 28, 2008

my poor, poor baby

I get a better wifi connection than I do cell phone reception so I figured I'd just update everyone this way. Although, every doctor and nurse that has walked through here didn't know that they have a wifi connection so I'm not sure if I'm doing something illegal or not. If you don't hear from me again, it's because my computer has been confiscated because I've breached some super secret network.

W is out of surgery and everything went fine, until they woke him up. People need to listen to me when I tell them to just let the boy sleep. Don't wake him up, it's not worth the fight. As I was walking into the surgery unit I could hear him screaming, or trying to, and that was through 3 sets of double doors.

After they woke him up they had to give him albuterol because he was having a bit of a hard time breathing, and then they gave him morphine for the pain. Let's talk about what a fun combination that is. Albuterol, or baby meth as I have referred to it for the past 3 years, doesn't exactly react well with him. 20 minutes after I gave it to him for the first time when he was 10 months old, I walked out of the room and came back a few seconds later and found him dancing on the table. How he got there, I don't know, but apparently that stuff makes you fly. Morphine apparently makes him crazy too, but in a different way. It makes him emotional, so he's an emotional and physical mess right about now, when he's awake.

They have the pulse/ oxygen monitor on his big toe, which is seriously pissing him off. He doesn't mind the IV coming out of his arm, he just wants the red light on his big toe to go away and that is the first thing he tells me every time he wakes up. Ok, he doesn't "tell" me to take it off, he screams at me to take it off. He's still not drinking anything and won't take Tylenol by mouth, so he's on IV fluids and I was just told that we could give him Tylenol rectally, if I'd like. Um, yeah. Fat freaking chance that is going to happen. Has the kid not had enough torture for the day?

If he starts drinking tonight and is able to keep things down, then we will be able to go home tomorrow. If he's still doing what he's doing now and dry heaving after just a sip of clear liquid, we might stay a little longer. I'll try to update more later. There's not much to do here but I'm so tired that I'm having a hard time staying awake and I'm half tempted to crawl into the crib with W and take a nap. It's going to be a long night.


Sarah said...

poor baby! I'm so sorry he is having such a hard time. I hope he (and you) can get some sleep and wake up feeling much, much better.
(((hugs))) and lots of get well wishes headed your way.

emily said...

hello, this is your worst nightmare.
just kidding, it's emily.
i've been informed i am responsible for feeding you this evening but i do not have in my possession the number with which to reach you telephonically.
so when you get this please, holla at a player.

clanelder said...

Makes me hurt and cry for both of you. Drugs are NOT all they are cracked up (get it?) to be, right? Even when they are supposed to make you well. Poor baby W. Hopefully he'll get to the ice cream/sherbet stage soon and feel better. You are both, as of now, on the "list" here.

Michele said...

Hey Jo,

You and W are in my thoughts for a good night and going home tomorrow. Give him a hug from us.


kidletsmum said...

Poor little W! Big hugs to him from all of us in Turkland!