Thursday, February 7, 2008

hobbies

The past 2 weeks have been a bit out of sorts due to lots of traveling on my part and the fact that both monsters have been sick and it's been raining non stop. I'm not really one of those uber creative and energetic moms that can take a piece of string, a milk cap and a piece of half ply toilet paper and make something amazing for the kids to play with, I don't do kids songs, and I really don't do many kids shows, so the monsters have gotten a little bored and stir crazy.

Because I'm not into the educational and age appropriate crap, W had to find a good activity so he learned the art of Rock Band, which, let me tell you, is one of the few things on earth that makes me want to gouge my eardrums out with skewers. I would rather shoot myself in the knee and watch it bleed than have to endure listening to the "music" on that "game". As if the music wasn't bad enough, one is then forced to listen to the tap tap tap of the fake drums and/or the tap tap tap of the guitar repeatedly. For Hours. And HOURS. All because your brother feels like he HAS to complete every single song perfectly. Add in the singing part of it as your sister and dad try to match the tone and lyrics, which they don't even know in the first place... listening to drunk karaoke while suffering from double ear infections and a migraine would be more enjoyable. Seriously.

Anyway, W really likes to play Rock Band though. He asks for it all the time. Because the guitar is three times his size, he plays with the little bilingual guitar he got for Christmas. He rocks out just like he's one of those animated freaks on the screen and throws that thing around like a pro. If he had hair, and got into my makeup, he would look like that dude from Quiet Riot, minus the STDs.
He is decent at throwing a guitar but his absolute favorite is playing the drums. If I tell him he gets to play drums, I can get him to do pretty much anything, including getting him out of the bath without protest, without using the sure fire normal bribe of anything that contains sugar and red dye, preferably #40. Scary thing is that the kid actually has decent form and can keep a beat. Maybe one day he will make me rich.
Count us in! 1. 2. 3. 4.


CB on the other hand is a bit too young for the Rock Band. When given a drum stick, she just tries to eat it. So I was really surprised when one day, she got a hold of her brother's markers and paper and started to color. That girl loves to color. She takes it so seriously too. I was fully expecting her to eat the paper like she normally does, and the markers too, but she actually made a beautiful picture that we will send to her daddy, as soon as I get off my lazy butt and get to the post office.



Now whenever she sees the markers and paper, she crawls over to color. She does it when her brother is coloring too. They sit and color and laugh. It's really adorable. Like a scene in a Lifetime movie, but not quite as cheesy. I'm thinking this little hobby of hers is going to be a long term thing because before we went shopping today, she grabbed a marker and would not let go. She held onto that thing for the entire 20 minute car ride, the entire hour we were in Target, the car ride to Costco and then finally let it go when she fell asleep in Costco, about 30 minutes after we got there. Crazy girl. All I can do is thank God that this hobby of hers doesn't make my head pound and ears throb. Plus, if we hone this skill, she could really make me rich! I've seen those kids on Oprah. Have you seen the price people will pay for "art" these days? I'm gonna be able to buy a REAL designer bag instead of risking life and limb to get a good knock off on the Czech black market! And then I will take the rest of the money and build a sound proof room for her brother to play in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such talent! Can't wait to see and hear it up close and personal. Is W going to perform for CB's birthday? The pics are wonderful! Thanks for posting them.
Hugs all around...

Midwest Miscellany said...

Oh My, he's like a real rockstar! I love the shots where his hands are up in the air. He's such a cool kid.

Michelle said...

I can't believe how big CB has gotten and I am impressed she is coloring already. W is so cute playing the drums. Walker got a guitar for Christmas and he really just likes to stand on it and jump off. Haha.