Thursday, August 7, 2008

a teenie tiny update

Thank you to everyone for your emails and calls to see how W is doing. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to update. I haven't had a chance and I'm in the process of switching computers which messes everything up. Well, not so much messes everything up as much as I'm just too lazy to actually log into my blogger account on the new computer. Pitiful excuse, I know. But I have reached that point. I am that tired and 110% tapped out, scraping the bottom of the tank just to keep going for one more mile. I have a few seconds now as I sit here stealing Wi-Fi again, this time from a coffee shop as I eat my breakfast souffle. You know you are jealous of the dental hygienist who gets to clean my teeth in a half hour.

W is doing much better. We had a scare a few days ago and I ended up racing him back up to the hospital. In the process he managed to spill a chocolate milk shake all over himself and his carseat which made for an interesting hour and a half ride and a two hour cleaning process for me yesterday. Thank goodness CB wasn't with us so he could sit in her seat for the rest of the day. When we got to the hospital, the doctor forced his mouth open, which might as well have been considered a form of torture for both of us, and declared him stubborn. Duh.

He gave me the choice to have him admitted for more IV fluids and pain meds or to get different pain meds and go home. I chose to go home. I told W that if he didn't start eating and drinking he would have to have an IV put back in his arm and I believe his exact words were, "Pass the water, woman". The past 2 days have been much better than the previous 8 and I felt comfortable enough to leave him with his Opa and Oma yesterday and took him to school today.

His teachers were shocked today when I arrived with W's lunch and it was filled with junk. Apparently I have a reputation there because I only send him to school with healthy food. That is not normal? Dang. But look out because today he has Jello AND fruit snacks AND a piece of bread smeared with Nutella. I doubt he eats any of it because all he has eaten for the past 7 days is ice cream. We have gone through 3 half gallon containers of it and he screams for it in the middle of the night. I'm going to be doomed when I try to get him back to eating regular food. Now that he knows the delectible goodness that is ice cream, I'm not sure that he will change his ways without a fight. At least it's calories though. That kid can have as many chicken nuggets and tacos for the next few months. I'm desperate to put some weight on him as he's lost about 4 pounds and looks like a kid you see in a "sponser this child for 80 cents a day" commercial.

I will hope and pray that we have seen the last of the tonsil/ adenoid issues and that we won't have to go through anything like this again. Oh yes, for those of you who have asked, and I never answered, his surgery was to put tubes in his ears and take out his tonsils and adenoids. Just a little, routine procedure. I guess nothing is ever "routine" or "little" with us.


clanelder said...

Give W a big hug for me...then give yourself a BIG one, too. You are a good Mom (chicken nuggets, ice cream and all!).

Sarah said...

so glad to hear that life is slowly returning to normal. Hope W. continues to heal, drink, and EAT! On a positive note, does all this ice-cream mean that he is finally tolerating dairy OK? That's huge!
I hope you can get a little rest for yourself before you have to begin the next big pack.

The Smith Family said...

Ugh...poor little guy!!! Four pounds???? Keep that ice cream coming! Hope this week is much better than last!

JoAnna said...

Sarah, he is doing much better tolerating dairy, but I'm only giving him stuff that's "cooked" like the ice cream and yogurt and cheese. I'm still too chicken to give him an actual glass of milk.